SAVE THE DATE! Join @Changemakers for a #SOCENTCHAT on #CITIZENMEDIA!
Attention citizen journalists, online activists, content-creators, communicators, media gurus, and lovers of all things tech!
Next Wednesday, Nov. 9 will be a big day for the Changemakers community, for two reasons:
1. CITIZEN MEDIA FINALISTS. Finalists of the Google-supported citizen media competition will be announced, and voting will open to the public.
2. #SOCENTCHAT ON CITIZEN MEDIA. From 3 to 5 p.m. (EST), Ashoka Changemakers will host a Twitter chat to discuss the citizen media landscape!
This chat will build on previous conversations we have had about the state and future of citizen media. In previous #socentchats, we discussed the general state of affairs, challenges, and success stories. Next week, we want to explore a topic that struck a chord with many of you in past #socentchats: the relationship between citizen media and mainstream media.
Join Changemakers, Google, competition finalists, innovators, and experts in the field, to explore the quickly-shifting relationship between citizen and mainstream media.
How does it work?
A Twitter chat is a real-time discussion focused on a specific theme. It is designed to bring together various stakeholders (social entrepreneurs, innovators, funders, media, and more) to share ideas, discuss best practices, identify the latest innovations, and pinpoint areas requiring more exploration. It is also a great way to connect with colleagues and supporters around the globe!
How can I participate?
1. Follow @Changemakers for tweets and updates related to the chat.
2. During the chat use search.twitter.com or an application like Tweetdeck or TweetChat to follow the #socentchat hashtag and keep up with the conversation.
3. Enter the discussion anytime by tagging your tweets with #socentchat.
What are the rules?
The #socentchat will be structured around a series of questions, which all participants can respond to.
1. Introduce yourself in one tweet when you join the chat.
2. @Changemakers will tweet 5 to 6 questions in the following format: “Q1: This will be a question about #CitizenMedia #socentchat”
3. To respond to a question, indicate the question number in your response, and use the following format: “A1: This is your answer to Q1, don’t forget to use #socentchat and #citizenmedia!”
4. Stay calm and be respectful.
5. Don't forget to have fun!