Water Changes Everything: Visualizing the Global Water Crisis
What do you know about water? Specifically, what do you know about the global water crisis? (Video after the jump.)
Did you know that?
- Almost one billion people live without reliable access to clean, potable drinking water.
- Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of diseases and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war.
- 90% of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are to children under five years old.
- About every 19 seconds, a mother loses one of her children to water-related illness.
- In Africa alone, people
typically women and children spend 40 billion hours every year just walking for water.
- The overall economic loss due to lack of safe water and sanitation is $28 billion, or about 5% of GDP.
The celebrated non-profit charity: water is dedicated to bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations. But they have also made it their mission to educate the public about the issue, and raise awareness of the innovative solutions improving the lives of millions. They recently teamed up with animator Jonathan Jarvis and actress Kristen Bell to produce a three-minute video illustrating how water affects everything but also has the power to change the world.
[H/T Nathan Parcells]