Discussion about entry: Muebles para la Libertad

Comments

Tue, 12/18/2012 - 17:17

Fernando,

I really enjoyed reading your entry and think the initiative has huge potential for impact. I would love to learn more about the specific model you plan to use - i.e. how would the partnership between your company and the prisons function?

Have you affirmed with a prison director that such a project could be approved?

How would the work be compensated - to the prison itself or inmates (or do you see the skills taught as the sole form of payment)?

I see incredible value in this system and love that you have been active to promote this idea within your company. Moving forward, I think it's important to have a clear idea of the initiative's structure and identify benefits for both parties involved without overlooking any possible negative repercussions.

I look forward to seeing where this goes! Suerte!

Fernando Draier profile img
Tue, 12/18/2012 - 18:50

Thanks Lyndon, I will try to explain our inclusive business model.

The company that I work for is a wood board producer (www.masisa.com).

We visit the prison director with our distributor and offer him a win-win project. If the prison director agrees, the distributor signs a contract with the prison. Masisa gives a free furniture assembling course to the prison inmates and if necessary we donate some tools too. The inmates receive all the parts and pieces from our distributor and they begin with the furniture assembling. Once the furniture is finished the distributor fetches the products and pays the prison for their labor. The prison makes a deposit in each inmate bank account where their families can make use of it.

The key for the project sustainability is that each stakeholder involucrated benefits. The model can be replicated in our or other industries. Our project mission is to lower ex-offender recidivism and help prison inmate families.

Regards,

Fernando

Isabela Carvalho profile img
Mon, 01/14/2013 - 20:00

Hola Fernando!

Felicitaciones por su iniciativa! Creo que tiene un gran potencial de impacto!

Le sugiero poner en el formulario de inscripción algunos de los insights que ha contestado aqui, una vez que es el espacio lo cual los evaluadores mirarán,

Un abrazo!

Fernando Draier profile img
Tue, 01/15/2013 - 16:00

Gracias Isabela. Hoy completé el formulario con los insights faltantes. Saludos!