Democratic values in the School
Explaining Democracy to children through the Constitution in order to help them better understand how we have arrived to where we are today.
URL en Twitter
URL en Facebook
Sobre tu organización
Nombre de la organización
La Consti en el Plan de Convivencia
Sitio web de la organización
País de la organización
España, MD, Madrid
Países en donde este proyecto está creando impacto social
Tu organización es
Tu rol en la Educación
Tipo de escuela(s) afiliada(s) con tu solución:
¿Cuánto tiempo ha estado operando la organización?
Menos de un año
La información que brindes aquí será usada para llenar las partes de tu perfil que hayan sido dejadas en blanco, como intereses, organización, y sitio web. Ninguna información de contacto será hecha pública. Por favor desmarca esta casilla si no deseas que esto suceda..
Selecciona la fase que describa mejor el momento en el que se encuentra tu emprendimiento
Idea (estás listo para lanzarla)
¿Hace cuánto que viene operando tu organización?
Operando menos de un año
La necesidad: ¿Cuál es el problema que tratas de solucionar?
- Explaining 7-8 years old children (and older) the principles of the democratic system and promoting its assimilation in order to help create collective awareness through values such as solidarity, empathy and respect. These values are to be made part of how they lead their lives and shall prepare them as citizens capable of improving and transmitting the same.
- Providing a supporting resource for teachers for managing coexistence problems and conflict resolution.
- Introducing democratic system rules in primary schools Coexistence Plans as preventive tool for conflict resolution and for reducing the application of punishments.
- Improving school coexistence and reducing bullying.
La solución: ¿Cuál es tu solución? Sé específico.
The Solution: What is your solution? Be specific!
A program including:
- Teaching material: a) a text explaining the Spanish Constitution and fables on the origin of Democracy and on how our system works to children; this material should be read by teachers during the “General Meetings” or tutorships held weekly in each class, b) debating in class on how to apply certain values to common situations, c) class activities covering different subjects, d) activities suggested to be discussed at home and later in class.
- Why did we choose the Constitution? Because it gathers our society’s coexistence values and rules, independently from the ideology and religion of their citizens.
- Why should it be read by teachers? In order to reinforce the perception of moral authority by students.
- Why is it directed to 7-8 years old students? Because at that age children start to be interested in coexistence rules and how to solve their conflicts.
El Modelo: Muéstranos a través de un ejemplo específico cómo tu solución hace una diferencia, incluye tus actividades primarias
My aim is to introduce the initiative (material and specifications for the project) to the State or Self-Governing Community Observatory of School Coexistence so that it may be studied in a commission formed by representatives of the school community. Once the project has been discussed, the program would be carried out in a 25 public schools sample, creating work teams with participating teachers in order to draw and present its conclusions.
The program has 15 workshops divided into 6 modules. Each workshop includes:
- Reading part of the text of the Constitution explained to children or one of the fables explaining the origin of Democracy and how it works. Teachers should read these texts to the students.
- Debating among students and their teacher on the concepts dealt with in the text and applicable to real situations and conflicts that may have taken place among them.
- Arts and crafts, plays and musical activities in which teachers for different school subjects may participate, aimed at reinforcing assimilation and application of the concepts learned.
- Home activities aimed at establishing a dialogue with the families on the concepts learned in class linking what is learned at school and at home.
- Creating a web page to coordinate the work, connect the schools involved in the study and provide complementary material.
El mercado: ¿Quiénes son tus pares y competidores? Identifica a otros que también estén trabajando para dar respuesta a las necesidades que tú abordas y en qué te diferencias de ellos. ¿Cuáles son los desafíos que estos jugadores podrían representar para tu éxito o crecimiento?
The school community is deeply concerned about “educating on values” and several interesting initiatives. The Ministry of Education has recently announced the creation of a school subject on Civic Education and the Constitution. Its application to primary school has not been defined yet, as a joint decision together with other organizations is still pending. Since the project is not limited only to explaining the constitution but rather to analyzing the values inspiring the same, the project “Democratic Values in the School” will give all children the possibility of learning shared values in a multicultural society – learning the values shared by the different religions – and would help them get ready to assimilate more complex concepts in High School.
Ahora que has pensado en tu innovación, ayúdanos a presentarla.
Define tu empresa, programa, servicio o producto en 1-2 frases cortas. [136 caracteres/25 palabras]
Explaining Democracy to children through the Constitution to help them better understand how we have arrived to where we are today
Identifica lo que es innovador en tu solución en 1-2 frases cortas. [136 caracteres/25 palabras]
We incorporate democratic rules and values in schools’ Coexistence Plans for prevention and resolution of conflicts.
Esta presentación se trata de
¿Cuál ha sido el impacto de la solución hasta la fecha?
Celebrating the Constitution’s first 25 years, three years ago we started a workshop for two months in 3rd grade primary school in Madrid. The result was that, surprisingly, children showed great interest in the content and activities offered. According to the teacher, children’s behavior in class improved.
During the days prior to “Constitution Day” celebration, the blog featuring the text of the Constitution explained for children registered between 200 and 300 daily visits.
¿Cuál es tu impacto proyectado para los próximos 1-3 años?
Reaching other Self Governing Communities with this program in their school coexistence plans in order to improve school coexistence and increase tolerance and empathy. The latter can be obtained helping students speak their minds and expressing how they feel in class in debates coordinated by teachers.
I also expect this Project to impact on children, their schools and families and to extend its impact on society as a whole. It could serve as model for other societies, particularly those with high levels of multiculturalism.
¿Qué barreras pueden dificultar el éxito de tu proyecto? ¿Cómo planean superarlas?
1. In spite of the fact that at present the school community seems to agree on the need of transmitting democratic values at school, disagreement arise due to the different approaches, none of which are against teaching the Constitution. In order to overcome this barrier, I plan on filing the initial proposal for evaluation to the school community through State or Self-Governing Communities Observatory in order to obtain consensus on the material.
2. Taking part in the initial study may include extra work for teachers: holding meetings, gathering information, drafting conclusions. In order to overcome this barrier I propose to have teachers motivated to contribute to the development of a tool to help them manage conflicts and improve school coexistence.
Las iniciativas ganadoras presentan un plan fuerte de cómo van a alcanzar y realizar un seguimiento del crecimiento. Identifica tus metas a seis meses para el crecimiento de tu impacto
Creating a work team in the State or Self-Governing Community Observatory and starting the program during the next school term i
Identifica tres grandes tareas que tendrás que completar para llegar a las metas de seis meses.
Filing the School Coexistence teaching material proposed as well as the project’s specifications before the State or Self-Govern
Having 25 public schools interested in being part of the pilot test.
Developing a web page to coordinate teachers’ work and share information and experiences.
¡Ahora piensa en grande! Identifica tu meta de impacto a 12 meses.
Extend the project to other Self Governing Communities and adapt the same to highly multicultural locations.
Identifica tres grandes tareas que tendrás que completar para llegar a tu meta de impacto a 12 meses
Introducing the project’s conclusions to other Self Governing Communities.
Introducing the project’s conclusions to other locations with wide cultural diversity.
Adapting the material to make it possible viable in children’s homes.
Historia de la fundación: Queremos saber acerca del momento en el que hiciste "¡Ajá!". Comparte la historia de dónde y cuándo el/los fundador(es) vio (vieron) el potencial de esta solución para cambiar el mundo.
As from the day my son started school, and due to the conflicts arising among classmates, I have had the opportunity to detect the need to transmit children the values of a “collective awareness” and to explain them how our system, rights and duties actually work, as well as the ideas behind those rules. I was able to prove that, once explained, we satisfy the curiosity on subjects that starts to show as from the early age of 7 or 8. As we give children the opportunity to talk about these subjects, we help them assimilate and apply these concepts to everyday situations. Also, both parents and teachers agree on the need of teaching democratic values and ask for tools to manage conflicts. The Constitution and democratic values that inspired this constitute our “coexistence manual”; these are the rules of the game we all need to know, and whenever possible, to improve. Adults’ values should apply to children as well.
Cuéntanos sobre tus alianzas.
I have received support from different types of entities – such as Ombudsmen from several Self Governing Communities, and the Ombudsman for Children, to whom I have sent the project.
¿Qué tipo de equipo (personal, voluntarios, etc.) te asegurará que logres las metas de crecimiento identificadas en la sección de Impacto social/i>?
- State or Self Governing Community School Coexistence Observatory: for creating a work team, debating on the subject and agreeing on the project’s contents and shape.
- Training centers for teachers: the same resources and trainers used for “Education for Citizenship” can be used for this project.
- School Principals and teachers involved in the project
- School parents associations for the activities suggested at home
Por favor, pon en claro las necesidades u ofertas que hayas mencionado anteriormente y/o sugiere categorías de apoyo que no están especificadas en la lista
In order to develop the Project “Democratic Values in the School” we will need a small budget (corresponding to the salary of the entrepreneur) approved by the School Coexistence State Observatory in order to create a work team as well as the help of 25 schools taking part of the initial study.