Rural Meets Urban
Mantasa is a non-profit organization works on edible wild plants issue. Our vision is to create food sovereignty of people. Our main activities are research, education and campaign.
URL en Twitter
URL en Facebook
Sobre tu organización
Nombre de la organización
Sitio web de la organización
País de la organización
Indonesia, JI, Sidoarjo
Países en donde este proyecto está creando impacto social
Indonesia, JI, surabaya, jombang, pasuruan, yogyakarta
Tu organización es
¿Cuánto tiempo ha estado operando la organización?
¿Tu organización ha recibido premios y/u honores? Cuéntanos sobre ellos.
La información que brindes aquí será usada para llenar las partes de tu perfil que hayan sido dejadas en blanco, como intereses, organización, y sitio web. Ninguna información de contacto será hecha pública. Por favor desmarca esta casilla si no deseas que esto suceda..
Nombre de tu iniciativa
Rural Meets Urban
Selecciona la fase que describa mejor el momento en el que se encuentra tu emprendimiento
Inicio (iniciativa piloto que acaba de empezar a ponerse en práctica)
¿Cuánto tiempo se lleva poniendo en práctica tu iniciativa?
Operando menos de un año
¿Cuál de las siguientes describe mejor la(s) barrera(s)s a la que da respuesta tu innovación? Elige hasta dos.
Acceso, Costo, Transparencia.
La necesidad: ¿Cuál es el problema que tratas de solucionar?
Rural meets urban is a program that meets rural women and urban women. Mantasa for some time have worked in a rural area for food sovereignty program and this year we want to bring the same program for urban community. After several times we held some activities with urban women we realized that there is a gap between urban and rural women. The gap is about knowledge, skill and resources. Therefore, we think how to close/narrow the gaps so food sovereignty could also be achieved in urban area. Connecting both sides also creates equality between rural and urban women as often women in rural area feel that they are less developed than their fellows in urban, but actually it is not true as we believe both sides have something to share to each other and complete and inspire each other.
La solución: ¿Cuál es tu solución? Sé específico.
By using technology we will connect both sides. We are thinking about some simples way to connect them. Phone is the easiest way as now everyone have mobile phone and they can contact each other by using phone anytime. But, since we also want the process of information, skill, knowledge and product happened then mobile phone is not sufficient. Social media and website are two effective way as they can post stories, video and pictures of their activity and products. Of course there will be some intense course/training, especially for rural women to use computer let alone use a website, but they are quite familiar with using social media by using their mobile phone, so this can be a good start. There will be also a training on how to do documentation, this means making video, take a picture that clearly stated their objective and writing. As for urban women, they can help by spreading the website and social media to their fellows and connects more women in rural and urban area.
El Modelo: Muéstranos a través de un ejemplo específico cómo tu solución hace una diferencia, incluye tus actividades primarias
1. Have a training for rural women on how to use computer & create simple website (blog) and an account in one of social media channels & how to maintain them. Some of the rural women quite familiar on how to use social media, so they can help each other, but we also want to show them that they can use social media to share information and products.
2. Have a training on documentation, this including video making, photography and creative writing. To do video and photography documentation they don't need to have a professional camera. We've seen they (rural women) all have smart phone which featured camera that can take video and picture with quite good quality. So we will show them to make a use of technology in their hand to create useful information. And we will also show them how to transfer the data to a computer and how to post it on their website or social media website to be watched by everyone.
3. Of course, creating website/blog & create an account in social media website.
4. As for urban women, we already have several communities that interesting on how to do edible wild plants gardening. The problem, they don't have skill to do gardening, they don't have proper knowledge about different kind of plants, they don't know how to process/cook the plants and moreover, they don't have the seeds. In this stage we will start to connect them. We found no problem for urban women to access technology as almost all of them are pretty familiar with using computer and browse through internet. By using blog and social media they can start share information.
El mercado: ¿Quiénes son tus pares y competidores? Identifica a otros que también estén trabajando para dar respuesta a las necesidades que tú abordas y en qué te diferencias de ellos. ¿Cuáles son los desafíos que estos jugadores podrían representar para tu éxito o crecimiento?
We have Slow Food and several local communities in rural and urban area to start with. Slow Food will support us with information and knowledge as they are concern about preserving local food culture. We also work closely with local NGOs and communities work in food and agriculture issue so they can also supply information. As for competitors, we don't think we have competitors in this activity as this activity is unique since the main actor is rural women and urban women. We want to connect them directly and create an equal feeling between both sides as they both have important role to create food security and sovereignty in society. This is one thing that differentiate our initiative, as we want to show in a bigger context that women's role in creating food security is very important.
Esta presentación se trata de
¿Qué solución/es propone tu iniciativa para mejorar la vida de las niñas y mujeres a través del apalancamiento de tecnologia/s? (selecciona todas las que apliquen)
Acceso a tecnologia, Acceso a educación/capacitación, Acceso a la atención médica, Acceso a oportunidades económicas, Cambio de políticas/Defensa de derechos.
¿Cuál ha sido el impacto de la solución hasta la fecha?
Quantity: So far we have worked with 60 women in different villages in East Java. They are very passionate with our food sovereignty project and now they start their small business initiative by creating unique food products made from edible wild plants. In urban area, we have 10 communities spread in Java and Sumatera where they want to know more about edible wild plants and its cultivation and processing. The rural women also have a seed garden where they collect different kind of edible wild plants, and so far they have been collecting 60 edible wild plant species.
Quality: There is a dignity feeling came from rural women about their local food wisdom and the knowledge and local resources they have. Before, they were embarrassed if being asked about their local food as they thought it is food for poor people. But now they proudly say they eat from local resources and they even make some innovations they can proud of and has attracted many media to cover their story.
¿Cuál es tu impacto proyectado para los próximos 1-3 años?
1. There will be no gap between rural and urban women regarding knowledge and local wisdom in food culture.
2. The biodiversity of edible wild plants maintained as many people will use it more, not just people in rural area but also people in urban area. Some of edible wild plants are getting disappeared, and the only way to conserve it is by eating it.
3. Women's role in food security is recognized. Either they are in rural or urban area, women play key role on preserving food security but a lot of times their role is unrecognized and remain silent.
4. There is an equal feeling between rural and urban women. Just because they live in a village doesn't make them less important then those who live in urban area.
5. Information and knowledge about food culture shared and spread widely
¿Qué barreras pueden dificultar el éxito de tu proyecto? ¿Cómo planean superarlas?
1. Technology: It takes time to teach rural women on how to make and maintain a website/blog. But they already familiar with social media website, so it is a good start to show them they can develop their skill more about internet technology.
2. Culture: especially for rural women, as they have limited time to do other things after their household works. But this could be overcome by sharing & splitting tasks between them.
3. Money: We'll have creative fundraising to get some money
4. Expansion of the network: we'll have to make sure the importance of having a good network for their own interest.
5. Information update: We'll supply them first with information & teach them how to supply themselves with latest information from different sources
6. Communication: communication skill
Las iniciativas ganadoras presentan un plan fuerte de cómo van a alcanzar y realizar un seguimiento del crecimiento. Identifica tus metas a seis meses para el crecimiento de tu impacto
Identifica tres grandes tareas que tendrás que completar para llegar a las metas de seis meses.
Trainings for rural women (website making, blogging, social network website, video making, photography, creative writing)
Strengthen rural women organization and network
Strengthen urban women communities and network
¡Ahora piensa en grande! Identifica tu meta de impacto a 12 meses.
Identifica tres grandes tareas que tendrás que completar para llegar a tu meta de impacto a 12 meses
National and international networking so these women's role in food system getting more recognization
Campaign and publication so this initiative is getting known and inspire more people, especially women, to join our network
Database of edible wild plants created to organize all information and local wisdom shared between people in different area.
Historia de la fundación: Queremos saber acerca del momento en el que hiciste "¡Ajá!". Comparte la historia de dónde y cuándo el/los fundador(es) vio (vieron) el potencial de esta solución para cambiar el mundo.
Food security has been a problem in Indonesia, yet Indonesia is one of countries in the world called by mega-biodiversity country. Creating food sovereignty for people is the only way to create food security. And we believe women play a key role in this issue. We started our edible wild plants project in a small village in East Java couple years ago and unexpectedly it has drawn many attention in nation even international wide. And the main actor in our project was the women, they have travelled around Indonesia and abroad to share their success story on how they use local resources (edible wild plants) to create healthy and quality food for their family. Here, we believe that women can be the agent to solve the problem and change the world. We want people recognize their important role and appreciate their wisdom, either they live in rural or urban area, women have natural call to nurture their family, and serving good food is the basic thing they do.
Cuéntanos sobre tus alianzas.
We are partnering with local and national NGOs & CBOs. For example, we work closely with Human Rights Committee where they also work in food sovereignty issue, we also work with Food Security Bureau, a national agency dealt with food security issues and several other organizations. WE also have international partnership with Slow Food International, where at the moment we have project called Taste Education. Slow Food also provide us wider possibility of international network and publication. I was also one of Ashoka Youngchangemaker and they have very good network and provide an advise.
Por favor, pon en claro las necesidades u ofertas que hayas mencionado anteriormente y/o sugiere categorías de apoyo que no están especificadas en la lista
We especially need a support in research area as there are still many edible wild plants that need to be analyzed their potential as it is important to show to people that these plants are useful. We also suggest a support of technology and internet network connection as we work on the mountain and internet connection is hard to get and it makes them separated and disconnected from outer world.