Please describe the goal of your initiative; outline what you are trying to achieve
Goal 1: Provide a platform for intergenerational understanding and knowledge transfer.
Objectives: Use concentrated conversation between generations to explore critical issues and create new insights and understanding;
Goal 2: Expand active citizenship and provide a fresh outlet for civic engagement.
Objectives: Appeal to a wide audience by using dialogue, cultural performance and a celebratory approach to convene civic conversations.
Goal 3: Nurture innovation and community collaboration.
Objectives: Engage ethically diverse communities and interdisciplinary perspectives through solutions-based conversations that explore intergenerational equity through culture, business, politics, the environment, community, and social change.
What has been the impact of your solution to date?
- Sold out both of our previous Bring Your Boomers events, the first at 120 people, the second at 350 people.
- Generated greater consciousness for inter-generational equity issues (based on online feedback and mainstream media coverage);
- Provided a unique and entertaining platform for civic engagement;
- Produced a publication documenting what was learned and how intergenerational dialogue can be used as a form of civic engagement;
- Created a video documenting the process, participants and dialogues;
- Continuing to build an intergenerational community by facilitating meaningful discussions, both online and offline.
What is your projected impact over the next five years?
Long Term Outcomes:
- A stronger intergenerational community built around civic engagement;
- A willingness to change or adapt new behaviors based on what was learned;
- A on-going intergenerational dialogue program including more events and workshops
- Networked collaboration across groups and organizations that can translate the outcomes into practical contexts
What barriers might hinder the success of your project? How do you plan to overcome them?
As our events get bigger, so does the cost of putting them on. In order to grow and have a bigger impact, we need to host in larger venues, attract high profile participants, offer great value and ramp up our promotions. Not being able to financially cover the front-end of the event preparation could hinder the success of our event.
Also, we need to plan long-term. Ideally we'd like to have at least 4 events confirmed in advance so to plan thematically and strategically how the events will build on each other and be relevant to current social issues. Not knowing if we'll be able to throw another event (due to financial limitations) could hinder our ability to plan a well thought-out series.
Winning entries present a strong plan for how they will achieve and track growth. Identify your six-month milestone for growing your impact
Be ready to host our largest Bring Your Boomers event to date, with 1000+ attendees and nationally recognized participants.
Now think bigger! Identify your 12-month impact milestone
Gain national attention for our events and sell out our first two events with 1000+ attendees.