Sustainability Plan: What is this solution’s plan to ensure financial sustainability?
There are many approaches to achieve sustainability however, we adopted the multidimensional approach due to the nature of the WCKCs. The Centers are development oriented, i.e. they are established to help develop the people’s capabilities and skills in digital literacy. Therefore, it is important to take into consideration all the aspects related to the community, underprivileged people, women, local communities ..etc. the multidimensional sustainability is an approach that focuses on considering policy, culture, technology, human resource, and financial. Multidimensional sustainability - in brief – means putting equal focus on policy/strategy, social/cultural, technological, human resource, as well as financial sustainability. Findings have shown that those CKC/WCKCs that have integrated management, social, cultural and technical sustainability as vital points of planning and operation have resulted in increase in the possibility of achieving sustainability. (Stoll and Daly, 2003). The multidimensionality lies in providing:
1. Policy and strategy sustainability: is the framework that enable CKCs/WCKCs, its staff and local champions/entrepreneurs to perform their tasks and help them solve the challenges they face. This is already ITA is keen to support CKCs/WCKCs to continue providing the service to the public as part of the Society and Human Capital Pillar of the ITA Business Plan 2013
2. Social/cultural sustainability: it is ensuring the CKC/WCKC are endorsed by local communities, local leadership and respecting local culture. Also people have a say in the centers activities and planning to a reasonable extend, which we do through feedbacks. More surveying and focus group, market research work will be conducted to increase the engagement.
3. Technological sustainability: it is to ensure that technology solutions (hardware and software) are maintained and updated regularly. It also means that the technology is easy to use by the local communities of all ages and capabilities. The ITA is planning to establish a specialized center for people with disabilities PWDs in Buraimi.
4. Human resource sustainability: is the creation of system of keeping the human resource at the CKC/WCKCs at it standard performance. It is also to make sure the human resources within the centers are up to date in terms of capacity and training. Also it maintains a shadowing program where all staff are trained to do all the functions in the centers as a standard procedures. So in the case of outgoing staff, which is likely to have a government job or so, any of the staff will cover the role ad take responsibilities immediately. This is one of the most common and serious challenges to sustaining the centers and dealing with it carefully and creatively are very important.
5. Financial sustainability: this is the main aim of the sustainability plan however, it is the result of all the above as well as a strong financial strategy that is flexible, dynamic but strict. The financial sustainability is a clear framework to ensure a transparent, legally approved and progressive process of dealing with revenue and its use withing the CKCs/WCKCs. It has to be linked to the marketing strategy in order to ensure consistency of the strategy and the implementation of revenue generating processes.
Founding Story: Share a story about the "Aha!" moment that led the founder to get started and/or to see the potential for this to succeed.
There are several "Aha!" moments in the history of WCKCs. One of which was in Najd near Salalah in the southern province of Dhofar. It was when a young lady started to show us what she learnt in computers and internet for the fist time of her life. She was amazed by the fact that she was finally able to learn new thing after years of staying at home without job. She said that she will start learning more and more as well as starting her own online business.
Partnerships: Tell us about your partnerships.
Public Private Partnerships PPP
a.Government Employees Training Agreements; this is one of the key revenue making channels for the CKCs under the Sustainability Plan, where the CKCs/WCKCs will provide a certified training through ITA facilitated agreements.
b.Cooperation with government entities that are serving similar target groups/beneficiaries; youth, women, people with disabilities, senior citizens, SMEs, professionals .. etc
c.Involvement of Private sector entities in partnering with entrepreneurs/champions in service provision by the champions at the centers on behalf of the private sector companies including but not limited to; Point Of Sale POS, marketing, representation etc
d.Involvement of Civil Society Organizations ex. Omani Women Association in running the centers in case they provide a feasible business case.