What is your signature innovation in one sentence?
Freedom HIV/AIDS is the largest social initiative to fight HIV/AIDS using mobile phone games and reaching to over 42 million users across the globe.
Describe your innovation. What makes your idea unique and different than others doing work in the field?
Freedom HIV/AIDS is a pioneering initiative to create awareness about HIV/AIDS to under-privileged communities of the world through the mobile games.
The project is innovative in 2 ways; firstly for the methodology of presentation of highly serious information by using Games, and secondly the mode of dissemination by exploiting the reach of mobile networks.
1. Spread of HIV/AIDS and the reach of Mobile devices have taken place simultaneously. Such a wide spread disease can only be controlled a technology with a great reach to the masses. Mobile phones are the most prevalent technology tools in the hands of common people.
2. HIV/AIDS is a global problem and Freedom HIV/AIDS proposes a global solution to create awareness and disease management.
3. Freedom HIV/AIDS can not only help in controlling the epidemic but also support to manage the people living with HIV/AIDS in prolonging their lives and ensuring better health.
4. The solution is highly cost-effective.
What barriers exist that are creating the problem your innovation is hoping to address/change?
The major barriers are:
1. Developing for vast variety of Mobile Devices and platforms to maximize reach.
2. Making arrangements with Mobile operators to make economical downloads.
3. Understanding local content, context and sensitivities.
4. Developing content in local languages.
5. Constatly designing new games as the shelf life of a game is not very long.
6. Finding like-minded partners in the new regions.
Delivery Model: How do you implement your innovation and apply it to the challenge/problem you are addressing.
High HIV/AIDS prevalence, and low information penetration & literacy rates are the two major criteria for selection of a region for development and deployment of HIV/AIDS awareness games. Freedom HIV/AIDS teams works closely with local NGOs and knowledge organizations to develop new games and understand the social sensitivities of a region. The games and applications are designed and developed by a voluntary team of developers of ZMQ Software Systems working on the project.
The mode of disseminations is mobile networks and the games are deployed in the regions through local mobile operators and mobile content aggregators. Freedom HIV/AIDS management ensures that the games are pushed by the operators through regular viral SMSes and marketing. The management also ensures that the users are either not charged or are charged nominally for games downloads. The Operators and providers provide the management with regular updates of downloads sheets, completed games session history.
How do you plan to scale your innovation?
Freedom HIV/AIDS is being scaled both horizontally and vertically as well. Constantly new games and applications are being designed and more regions are added. The project has reached Africa under the Star Program covering Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique and Namibia. Starting from 4 games, namely, Safety Cricket, AIDS Messenger, Babu Quiz and Red Ribbon Chase, the initiative has developed over 12 more games. Some of our most hit games have been Safety Cricket, AIDS Messenger, Babu Quiz, AIDS Safety Shoot-out and Game of Life. The initiative is in the process of rolling out new games for Latin America, South-East Asia and East Europe. The games will be developed in local languages.
The initiative is also launching a mobile-based Care Support and Treatment System (m-CST) for people living with HIV/AIDS in India and Kenya.
Seeing the success of the project, the company is also developing similar social initiatives for TB, Malaria, Anti-Smoking, Drugs, Pre-natal Care, etc