Awards: What awards or honors has your solution received, if any?
1. Best Innovative project -TRATECH 2014 for Smart Trash Bin
2. Second Runner-up for Community Service Awards 2014
Tell us about your partnerships
1. Ghana Fab Lab - A fabrication lab established by the MIT Fab foundation to promote fabrication and making as a tool for innovation and development. The lab help provide our members the opportunity for the to learn hands-on practical works, fabrication and making. Currently, we do not have our own lab with advance tools and machinery as the Fab Lab.
2. Ghana Engineering Student Association - the umbrella body of all engineering student in Ghana. Our partnership is to collaboratively promote innovation and creativity among the engineering student.
3. D-Lab - is a design for development lab at MIT and our partnership with them help us to send to train our members in designing process and also to work on student innovation.
4. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA - currently working on using traditional symbols and designs to teach high schools students computing through a program called Creative Computing.
5. Ghana Education Service-South Ga District - collaborating on a project to promote hands-on science practicals among Junior High schools. The project is titled Hack science Lab.
Challenges: What challenges might hinder the success of your project and how do you plan to overcome them?
One major challenge which we are facing is getting a well equipped Lab/makerspace to enable students to work on their ideas and prototype them. Such place will also serve as a meet-up place for them.
We are currently the Office of the Provost and the College of Engineering to give us a place at the College which can be use for a Innovation Lab/Hub/Makerspace. So far, the feedback has been positive. Our only concern is funding to equip the place with the necessary tools and materials the students needs for working on projects and prototyping their ideas.
Also, obtaining funding for some of these projects and getting the needed support for this students. It has been quite difficult in finding support for these projects. We currently working on a more sustainable more with the introduction of Business Cg which will provide business development for the students project and ideas and also help scale up some of these projects and prototypes for them to achieve their potential in terms of impact and innovation.
How does your idea help young people create bright futures and improve opportunities for meaningful and long-term careers?
Our aim as Creativity Group is to create this collaborative platform for the youth (student) directly influence national development and achieve social interventions. We aim at providing this enabling platform where they can follow their interest and pursue projects aim at social good and which a possible venture can be established from it.
One of our biggest STEM program is the Scientist of the Future meant for senior high schools to come up with innovative solutions which they face in their communities and school.
Also, we also organize an undergraduate innovation competition named GESA Makers Faire, where students are eager to come up with innovative solutions to problems in their communities. We then support them after the program to turn their solutions into start-ups or product which can have direct impact in the society. The competition aims at developing student enterprise out of their solutions.
Since last year, 15 innovative solutions has come out of the competition and we are currently working on scaling up some of their solutions to the market.
We are also establishing a business development wing for the group, called Business Cg. This will provide business development for the students project and ideas and also help scale up some of these projects and prototypes for them to achieve their potential in terms of impact and innovation.
It our goal, our members leaves school with not only a certificate but also with solutions for the society and enterprises.
Intervention Focus: Identify which of the following best explain key parts of your solution
Job Creation, Education - Curricular, Education - Extracurricular, Entrepreneurship, Training/Skill Development, New industries.
Does your project utilize any of the innovative design principles below? Select a theme below that most applies to your work. If none of them do, no problem, you can skip this question.
Put Young People in Charge: provide the experiences and skills needed to be resilient, creative, and take action
Is your project targeted at solving any of the following key barriers? Select a theme below that most applies to your work. If none of them do, no problem, you can skip this question.
Lack of youth empowerment