Scaling the Solution: How do you intend to scale your activities over the next two years (e.g., reach new markets, diversify solutions, etc.)? What will make this possible?
We intend to scale across East Africa in the next 2 years. We've already identified partners (regional managers) in Kenya, South Sudan, and Zambia. Our regional managers (RM) identifies franchisees (independent business owners/operators.) Because our RMs are offering the opportunity to own a profitable business with an increasingly recognizable brand, he/she have found aggressive interest / a large pool of local candidates for this position. The prize money will be used to buy a 20 L bottle mold (~20 k) for transparent, easy-to-carry, dispenser bottles (designed pro bono) and the prize leveraged to raise 3-4 million this Spring, 2013 in expansion capital (mostly needed for up-front cost of water filtration systems and bottles.)
Financial Sustainability: What is your business model to ensure financial sustainability?
Internally, business operates on four sources of revenue:
1. Pay back of debt on equipment (marked up 6%) payable by Franchisee to Regional Manager (RM) to Jibu Corporate.
2. Start-up license investment payable by RM and Franchisee to Jibu Corporate.
3. Monthly royalty payments payable by Franchisee.
4. Water sales profit-sharing between RM and Franchisee
All profits from water sales are divided between the RM and franchisee.
Experience: Please provide examples of any previous entrepreneurial initiatives you have pioneered.
- Started successful landscaping and lawn-care business as 16 year old (50+ regular customers; 3 employees)
- Co-developed Peer Education (PeerEd) Health Club based on innovative "train the trainer‟ model & selected by Moroccan Ministry of Health and Peace Corps to facilitate replication of program across country.
- Built first-of-its-kind, locally maintained city park (USAID grant recipient) in center of Errich, MAR