Please describe how your project has been successful and how that success is measured
The success of this model has to be evaluated at two levels; those are member enterprises level and Producer network (Rural Enterprise Network) level. To measure the success REN has used Business Development Services- Performance Measurement Framework (BDS-PMF) which is presently use in small enterprise development
1. Employment Creation - In average each small enterprise has generated 5 employment opportunities, totally REN has generated 500 direct employment opportunities
2. Profitability of Business - 70% of member enterprises reached to the level of breakeven or profitable
3. Market growth- Currently dealing with 23 ex porters, 3 super market chains, 2 hotel chains, 5 ayurwedic shops and 35 small shops
4. Product Range/ Value addition- Over 90% of the member enterprises added at least 1 new products to their product range
5. Economic well being of employees- Employees are earning 120USD to 150USD per month which is enough to manage their expenses
REN is using three income streams to generate its revenue; those are product sales income, BDS selling income and partnerships and collaborations with other organizations. During the stages of setting up the network REN was totally dependent on external funding, but after organizing the ground level gradually its focus converted to the sales income. In the year 2004 and 2005 over 75% of the revenue was generated through partnerships and collaborations and from 2006 this trend began to change. Accordingly, from 2006 onwards over 40% of the income generated through product sales while BDS selling contributed by over 10%
How will your project evolve over the next three years?
Over next three years period REN will give main attention to expand its member network especially targeting the conflict affected producers and farmers in North of Sri Lanka. The expansion of network would target to re-establish and develop micro and small scale agro and food processing industries located in conflict affected areas. The capacity of women and disadvantaged youth will develop during this process to take the opportunities of the sector. Accordingly, underutilized resources available in the conflict affected areas will use for effective economic activities. Action will be taken to expand REN marketing network to capture more market opportunities in USA and EU countries where it believed to be more demand for REN products.