Problem: What problem is this project trying to address?
Every year, China’s migrant population grows by 300 million; in 2010, 250 million members of the migrant population worked in cities. They work in the construction and clothing industries, fall between the ages of 16 and 60, and their income falls between 800 and 2000 RMB per month. The ratio of men to women, based on the differences in the city, has some divergence. In Shenzhen, the worker gender proportions are fairly prominent, with women making up 65% of the working population while men make up the remaining 35%. In other regions, men greatly outnumber women. • Over 80% of migrant workers do not sign labor contracts, and 75% of migrant workers live with high risks to their rights and interests, lacking basic medical and unemployment insurance, and not enjoying the government protection provided by insurance and benefit opportunities. Because of restrictions in the household registration system, the children of migrant workers cannot fully benefit from education opportunities in the cities. Upon entering the city, they face many difficulties. • The government, in terms of solving the problem of migrant workers’ rights and interests, sees the needs of workers’ rights-protection as middling and hard-to-satisfy. Therefore, it finds not having a labor contract as a reason to refuse help. The long-term poor state of factory and business working conditions has led to many migrant workers contracting work-related illnesses. Not receiving work-related illness appraisal in a timely fashion then causes economic and health-related hardship, even death. The union system limits worker protests, and as workers occupy a weak position in terms of individual rights, also leads to workers having no method of receiving more help from civil society.
Solution: What is the proposed solution? Please be specific!
1. Great demands：Based on a survey by related government bureaus, 72.5% of migrant workers’ salaries suffered varying degrees of default. The root cause of migrant workers’ labor disputes is that government policies lag behind and remain unenforced, and 80% of migrant workers do not sign labor contracts. Little Bird’s hotline service exactly suits migrant workers’ most pressing demands. 2.Inter-city network coverage：Little Bird successfully deploy civil society resources, including volunteers, lawyers, experts from institutes of higher learning, media reporters, and international organizations, and has brought the development and use of these powerful resources into play in order to realize the goal of helping disadvantaged people. This model has been successfully replicated in Guangzhou’s Shenzhen, the Northeast’s Shenyang, and East China’s Shanghai, basically covering China’s four representative economic areas, and with coverage service involving 80 million people. Every year, between 8000 and 12000 migrants are provided with legal and training services. 3. The utilization of media resources: Since its start in 1999, Little Bird has successfully partnered with Beijing radio station, creating a program for workers to come and narrate their stories, allowing people from all walks of life to know their real lives in the city and giving them the right to express their opinions. Meanwhile, it also realizes the organization’s mission. In 2006, it successfully replicated this experience, setting up a similar workers’ stories radio program in Shenyang.