KWA is mainly targeting girls but including the boys too. The girls often need to be motivated in another way to participate in sports. By recognizing women leaders, KWA has already taken a huge step in the direction of adressing different sports codes to girls.
Networking with other sport and development organisations within Livingstone is important. Ministry of Sport and Child Development, Youth Empowerment and Development and Livingstone Youth in Sport are some of the organization KWA has already worked with. However, for the league to be successful it is important to involve all the organizations based within Livingstone (sports in Action and Edusport)
Promotion: Partnership with radio station: KWA has a connection to a radiostation (Radio Mosi-U-Tunia) which broadcast a program called Sport and Play (supported by International Inspiration). Further steps to get in contact to other types of media needs to take place.
Fundraising: Getting in contact to local companies and other potential sponsors is a step needed to be taken in future to make the league sustainable.
Short term results:
- More girls will get involved in sports
- Keep vulnerable girls /women busy! (less likely to go to bars)
- HIV/AIDS and health awareness among a vulnerable group will improve the health conditions in the communities
Long term results:
- Gender equality: A male dominated sport like football played by girls and women will lead to movement of genderroles.
- Sports organization: A well organized football league will be likely to affect the organization of other sports leagues for youth in the city.
- Less sexworkers in the city
- Decreased amount of people transmitted with HIV/AIDS
- Empowerment of local leaders means building capacities within vulnerable communities.
- A more dynamic city when it comes to child and youth development.
- Better girls football players will in the end lead to a successful Zambian women national team.
What will it take for your project to be successful over the next three years? Please address each year separately, if possible.
- Identifying potential leaders within vulnerable communities (Some of them are already identified by KWA)The leaders should be chosen carefully and should consist of a mixture of male officials,coaches, and organisor (already involved in sports) and women leaders from the different clubs in Kwenuha Women Association. The mixture of community leaders will be beneficial for the development of the project.
- Empowerment and education of the potential leaders in the vulnerable communities within Livingstone. Set up workshops in following topics: Sports leadership, Sport administration, football refereeing, football coaching.
The facilitators for the workshops could be found within SCORE (Sport coaches outreach) which already have a program running in Zambia.
- Choosing an overall committee responsible for administrating and running the league. Hand out specific responsibilities to the sports leaders (coaches, referees, secretary...).
- Choosing a committee within each community which is responsible to build a ground in their community. (cut the grass and setup goalposts, which is maybe only made out of trees in the beginning)
- Looking for sponsors (fundraising)
- Build a central sports ground with many football fields for bigger tournaments.
- Set up the a few tournaments for women/girls football
- Organizing tournaments
- Evaluating tournaments and looking at the way forward (the committee)
- Setting up a league consisting of the organized teams which have participated in the tournaments.
- Running the football girls league
- Dividing the league according to age
- Build grounds for younger players with smaller goals.
- Dividing the league according to locality (if many teams) and play final among the best teams in the end of the season.
- Contact other football leagues in Zambia and make the best teams compete at a national level in the end of the season.
- Look for international promotion opportunities and partners in other countries.
What would prevent your project from being a success?
The project will only be successful if it is runned by local leaders of the communities. It is essential that the introduction fase about identifying and educating the upcoming leaders are done proberly.
If the local leaders do not take action after having been empowered through workshops and trainings the project will fail.
Financially it is important to start the fundraising early and get a good realtionship to some companies who can give support in future. The project will fail without any funds.
Lack of playing grounds is a challenge, since the good grounds in Livingstone are very busy. Therefore, it is essential for success that grounds are builded.
Too much money given for equipment and grounds: The project should be based on people's own initiatives. If grounds are just built without involving people, no commitment would take place, and noone would feel responsible. The main key to success is to give people the capacities to look for finances themselves, teach them how to look for funds and how to write applications. Furthermore teach them how to organize, how to report, how to handle money, and how to maintain a field!