Expliquez en quoi consiste l '«innovation», par exemple, est-ce que c’est l'idée et / ou le modèle que vous utilisez pour accomplir votre projet, ou la compréhension de la population cible, etc.?
The Pesinet program is highly innovative both in its delivery model and in its unique combination of services designed to holistically address the geographic, financial and social barriers that families in West Africa face in seeking healthcare for their children.
Pesinet has radically redesigned the delivery mechanism for basic preventative health services for children in order to increase the efficiency of disease detection and prevent those complications too often resulting in death. Since most mothers lack the time and resources to bring their children to the nearest health center for regular consultations, Pesinet employs a network of grassroots agents who bring checkups to the homes of subscribing families and then transmit the medical information via mobile phone to the doctor at the closest partnering health center. Pesinet’s web platform then presorts cases of children at risk, allowing the doctor to efficiently review and summon those needing examination. This grassroots health monitoring system is combined with a micro insurance plan that covers the cost of consultations and 50% of prescribed medications.
The program reinforces (rather than competes with) the national health system by allowing primary health centers to generate more revenue and improve performance, while preventing costly emergency treatment in hospitals.
Décrivez comment votre modèle d'innovation est différent de toute autre organisation dans votre domaine?
Not only was Pesinet an original pioneer in the use of grassroots agents and mobile technology for home-based health check-ups, but we are also the only organization to date combining this type of mobile monitoring with a micro insurance plan in order to address both financial and geographic barriers to care.
Pesinet also distinguishes itself by its total integration into the existing healthcare system. Many organizations offering mobile health services refer towards their own private centers and risk drawing patients away from the public system, whereas Pesinet’s service is designed to reinforce that system.
Quel environnement et quels facteurs organisationnels internes font la réussite de votre projet ?
- Our integration into existing health centers, in total compliance with the organization of the local healthcare system.
- Our grassroots approach – hiring and training local women from the community to do the mobile health monitoring.
- The deep understanding of the local context and culture of the communities that we serve, acquired through research, a participatory design process for our service, and continuous feedback through dialogue with families.
- Our professional, business and result-oriented approach to the way we work daily, with objectives, management control, and results monitoring.
Comment vous assurez-vous d’innover sans cesse à la lumière des défis externes (potentiels), ou de votre plan de croissance?
We are a very outward-facing organization. We present our intervention model regularly at international conferences and workshops, allowing us to solicit external feedback, meet potential partners, and draw inspiration from like-minded projects.
We take full advantage of external resources:
- Through pro-bono technical assistance from our financial partners we benefit from expert advice on how to improve our business model, our software, and our impact on program beneficiaries.
- Employment of new interns/consultants to explore and develop targeted aspects of Pesinet’s program.
- Regular informational meetings with organizations working in the same sector or in our zones of intervention.
- Systems in place to capture regular feedback from our partners and beneficiaries.