Describe the degree of success you have had to date. How do you measure, both quantitatively and qualitatively, the impact on sustainability or enhancement of local culture, environment, heritage, or aesthetics? How has it transformed or contributed to the power of place or demonstrated the sustainability of tourism? How does your approach minimize negative impacts?
We have had successes in using sustainable technologies, conserving the environment, promoting and conserving culture, enhancing quality of life of local people, creating a unique tourism experience, sustaining and restoring aesthetics at destination.
Our degree of success is best measured by the awards we have won locally and internationally, our conservation initiatives, social programs and support extended to community and the number of partners we have attracted
• 2004- Bronze rating by Ecotourism society of Kenya
• 2005- Eco-warrior Award by Ecotourism Society of Kenya
• 2006 – First choice responsible tourism award
• 2007 – First Gold eco-rating in Kenya awarded by Ecotourism Society of Kenya
• Our Annual Environmental Audit reports are approved by Government of Kenya
• Each year Basecamp Maasai Mara receives more than 1000 educational visits from universities, government departments and aspiring ecotourism operators. These visits are an endorsement of the model.
• More than 50,000 trees planted in 10 years
• 40,000 acres of land secured for wildlife and conservation
• Established one of the largest indigenous tree nurseries in Mara
• The only private sector supported cheetah conservation project in Maasai Mara
• 113 women earning an income from the Maasai Brand (TMB) an innovation of Basecamp Explorer to conserve maasai culture
• More than 30 girls supported through primary and secondary level education in 10 years
• Financial support for construction of local clinic and provision of water
• HIV/Aids awareness at destination
More than ten partnership agreements signed with local, national and international organizations to promote our business model. The establishment of Basecamp Foundation is the climax of the partnerships
Through Basecamp Explorer Big Five partnership programs people and planet challenges addressed: Care, Conservation, Climate, Culture and Capacity, see brochures attached