Problem: What problem is this project trying to address?
The great problem is: very old people with lack of mobility,culturally diverse seniors or people with a lower educational background, neglected youngsters.
More specific problem:
Yet, as we age today, we tend to be in much better health than previous generations. With the existing pension system, there are more and more relatively young pensioners with valuable experiences and vast knowledge. It is a great pity that people, after they stop working, take away their treasures of knowledge and do not share them with others. Nevertheless, there are young pensioners who want to stay active and pass their valuable skills and experience, skills and competencies that younger people can draw on and benefit from. we will reactivate these young pensioners with the young generation, reflecting each other.
• Today facing the problem of seniors' loneliness in big cities,we want to address to the depression of seniors, combating their loneliness,giving a ‘‘bridge’’ between generations, cooperating and reactivating them with the youth
• low self esteem, low self cognition of seniors
• usage of the intellectual potential of forgotten people or the ones being outside the course of events
• lack of ICT communication skills for senior adults, as it is not easy for them to decide to learn
• lack of knowledge of the outside world about a small group of forgotten people in society
• How memories can be good and bad and how we learn from them
• How we can show how much learners are benefiting from the project
to activate “The Third Age People” – the witnesses of history to write down and hand down their life stories form generation to generation.
• lack of activities/events for seniors for learning a healthy life style.
• lack of no solidarity and cooperation between the two generations.
Solution: What is the proposed solution? Please be specific!
•organizing local workshops-meetings with seniors and youth learners, expressing their life stories, create their memory boxes, reflect and share them.
•organizing a portable exhibition in our region (West Greece) and in European participating countries with memory boxes with the seniors' life stories
• organizing workshops for seniors in Art, painting, craft, music, traditional dances, local history, culture courses and book club to stimulate motivation for seniors,gain new skills, competencies and transfer knowledge to the youth, while the unemployed youngsters are the educators.
• to activate “The Third Age People” – the witnesses of history to write down their life stories in memory boxes.
• fostering creativity, inter generational learning in later life and encourage meaningful participation of seniors in Art, as creators and real protagonists, while the youngsters in response will reward them by helping them obtaining ICT communication skills (in social media: Skype, face book).
•creating a portal for on line communication, via which all citizens will interact and the young will teach the seniors, transferring our expertise to the local, regional and European community.
The project provides seniors citizens and youngsters with “pathways” to improve their ICT communication skills, Art, Craft and social interaction skills, because often older people in society feel lonely, marginalized and neglected by others, wishing to regain self-esteem and the lust for life, by creating and contributing a good community living, being given the opportunity to use their skills for the benefit of youngsters. In turn the youngsters receive from the senior citizens the affection and warmth that is often lacking in the modern family or parent’s busy or absent.
Inter-generational involvement in community activities can empower youngsters to reduce the problems caused by drugs, juvenile delinquency and the potential of school absenteeism.
Memory is a very important characteristic of every nation’s culture, a common ground, connecting people and generations, a precious asset for each individual, a value that can be transferred. Memory boxes are used as a way to start a journey to each one of our learners’ lives. Through this journey we aim to improve self- knowledge, self-consciousness and self-awareness of senior citizens and youth.