Please share what your organisation and Boehringer Ingelheim will Co-Create together
Scaling Previta - chronic care management services through telemedicine - to the US market with a focus on the Hispanic population and on increasing access to health care. Learning from our success implementing Previta in Mexico,we want to expand to a new market where Boehringer Ingelheim already has presence and market knowledge
If you selected "other" above, please explain:
Please provide a 1-2 sentence summary of your Co-Creation idea
Provide remote patient monitoring services for chronic diseases to Hispanics in the United States, taking advantage of the cultural and language similarities. 55 million Hispanics live in the USA and 38 million of them are Mexican-Americans; 70% are first or second-generation immigrants who still have strong Mexican roots, therefore giving the Previta model a competitive advantage.
With our e-health tracker® software and our health coaches certified by Joslin Diabetes Center (Harvard Affiliate) we can provide the remote patient monitoring to spanish speaking patients. We believe patients can relate better with care providers that share their own culture and lifestyle. We would create the follow up programs for: Diabetes, Hypertension, Stroke, Atrial Fibrillation, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Heart Failure, Ischemic Heart Disease, etc.
How does this project link to the core mission of your organisation?
This project will scale our core business model (and mission) of remote monitoring services currently provided in Mexico by Previta to a new market in the US.
Beyond social impact, how does this project link to Boehringer Ingelheim’s core business?
Through its focus on chronic disease management, Previta would provide BI with a set of services “beyond the pill” to help treat and monitor chronic diseases such as stroke and diabetes, among others. The Previta remote patient monitoring programs promote adherence to treatment, which will permit greater efficacy of the medicines and may obtain evidence of disease control in the real world. We believe that a great adherence & education program that Previta provides with our own technology can complement the current and new medicines developed by Boehringer Ingelheim.
What are the specific inputs and actions that each side will contribute to this Co-Creation idea based on each of your unique competencies and experiences?
○ Previta will contribute: Service & operations implementation, as well as the continuous development of the e-health tracker®, plus access to and trust among the Mexican-American community
○ Boehringer Ingelheim will contribute: Scientific committees with KOL´s (Key Opinion Leaders) for the creation of the new protocols, corporate & legal advice for international growth, best business practices in USA, marketing advice for product launching and financial aid
Please describe the potential revenue model for this Co-Creation idea.
1.-Third party payer in the USA: such as Medicare or Medicaid through its CPT code 99490 (non-face to face chronic care management) government, private insurance companies, companies with wellness and disease management programs, Hospitals or clinics that already manage chronic disease patients and can subcontract our services
2.-Immigrants living in the USA and Canada that (financially) take care of relatives living in Mexico where we already provide the service and in a later stage to Latin America where we will provide the service of Remote Patient Monitoring as well.
What possible risks or challenges do you foresee?
Regulatory: Privacy laws for patient information in different countries.
We will need to certify the e-health tracker® software to be HIPAA compliant
Possible certification of the health coaches to provide counseling services in USA. We need to know if it is necessary to have a certification in each state for our health coaches that may be providing remote advice for lifestyle changes and treatment adherence and will be based in Mexico.
We need to know in which extent we can advise patients without needing any kind of certification
Is there anything else you would like to share about your Co-Creation idea?
● Previta already addresses several chronic diseases that affect people and the economy in Mexico. With Boehringer Ingelheim´s collaboration, we can enter a new market and develop more programs to prevent and control chronic diseases and their complications.
● The WHO goal for 2025 is to reduce 25% in premature deaths from chronic diseases. 85% of them occur mostly in developing countries where there is a scarce in resources, medical attention and infrastructure. Even though United States is a developed country, Hispanics are an underserved and usually poor group that can benefit from our services.
● Telemedicine and remote patient monitoring is an easy and affordable way to combat this problematic as soon as possible.
“We believe that disruptive innovation in healthcare will come from new ways of understanding the real needs of patients, trying to change an episodic way of treatment to an on going one”. (Morgan Guerra)
If you selected "other" above, please explain:
Besides Boehringer Ingelheim, what other types of partners might be valuable to carrying out your Co-Creation idea, and why?
Telecommunications companies (i.e: Qualcomm, AT&T)
They are valuable since the main way to contact patients is through internet and cell phones
Technology companies that builds wearables: cardiac monitors, etc. i.e. (Samsung, apple, google or Withings, AND) Remote patient monitoring is complemented by having the patients vitals such as blood pressure, oxygenation, blood glucose etc. this biomarkers can be taken by the patient at his home
Pharmacy Benefits Management Companies, “PBMS” i.e express scripts, medco, cvs caremark, PBM can be a potential client or partner