What barriers might hinder the success of your project and how do you plan to overcome them?
Some key challenges faced during this project:
• Results of this survey show that more needs to be done to get people tested regularly. You can encourage HIV testing by offering it free of charge. During the survey, free testing was offered at the AIDS Information Centre in Lira. This way of testing reached many people; test uptake almost doubled after the SMS reminder. This is an important way to enhance (timely) HIV testing by reducing (financial) barriers.
• 31% of all respondents reported a place of residence outside Lira district. Although information on health will also benefit this population, this area was not initially targeted for this project.
• The radio shows reached mainly men. Women were more likely to subscribe to the survey when they were informed by family or other relatives. This demonstrates that radio needs to be complemented with other media to reach both men and women.
• Women had better knowledge than men on several issues. These interesting outcomes can be taken along in new surveys.
• The number of questions in our survey was limited if you compare it to other surveys.
Tell us about your partnerships
With a four year successful track record, TTC has experience in working with both the public and the private sector. Among Text to Change's partners and clients are the UN (Unicef, ECOSOC and GIVAS), governments (USAID, German, Dutch and English Ministries), NGO’s (Family Health International, Cordaid, IICD, Warchild, HIVOS, Twaweza), universities (Johns Hopkins (USA), Makerere (Uganda), University Utrecht (The Netherlands)), companies (Kakira Sugar, IBM, Microsoft, PWC, Clifford & Chance, Merck) and major mobile providers (Orange, Airtel, MTN, Vodacom).
Explain your selections
TTC carried out this survey in collaboration with the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the Aids Information Centre in Uganda. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is a German Company for International Cooperation and the Aids Information Centre is a NGO in Uganda.
How do you plan to strengthen your project in the next three years?
We will stay focused on the evaluation and improvement of this project. We're already very much experienced with SMS projects like these but focusing on improvement stays important! We will also focus on better partnerships and positioning Text to Change more. Our project could be strengthened by the right partnerships (with both the private and public sector).