Tell us about the community that you engage? eg. economic conditions, political structures, norms and values, demographic trends, history, and experience with engagement efforts.
According to studies by CIREC in recent years and based on PAIMAC figures (Presidential Program for Comprehensive Action against Antipersonnel Mines) in almost 20 years the number of landmine victims MAP exceeds 9000 people. Of these, 42% were civilians and 58% remaining members of the security forces, 64% of total of victims survived the crash, while the remaining 36% died in the same way about the involvement of the civilian population, it should be noted that 18% were women and 30% were minors at the time of the accident.
People living in the Colombian countryside are more often victims of this scourge and that 98% of accidents (with victims) and incidents (no casualties) caused by landmines victims occurs in rural areas and only 2% in urban areas .
Tibu is one of the municipalities where the of Seed of Hope network is and where our project started to run telerehabilitation therefore we have enclosed information of interest about the municipality.
Tibu is located in the Sub-Region of the Department of Norte de Santander at a distance of 122 kilometers by road north of the city of Cucuta and is geographically located at 8 ° 39 north latitude and 72 ° 59 Length to West of Greenwich.
It is the largest municipality has an area of 2,696 km 2, representing 12.44% of the total department.
Tibu is located at a height of 75 mts. Above sea level, with an average temperature of 32 degrees Celsius and a humidity of 77%, annual rainfall is 2071 mm, in climatic classification is identified as tropical rainforest.
The main river system that bathes the municipality is the river that forms the Catatumbo, therefore geographically conforms with other municipalities the Tibú Catatumbo department. In addition to this river, the municipality is bathed by the waters of the Rio San Miguel, Socuavo North, Chiquito, Sardinata, New President, Tibú Socuavo South and Rio de Oro
Tibú is the most influential oil town of the department. Here operated the eastern district in its jurisdiction are the former concession areas of the Barco refinery and Tibú. Also, crosses the Cano Limon-Covenas. Because oil producer, is entitled to royalties generated by oil. In itself, the transportation tax by the passage of lines leading Hidrocurburos.
In addition, extracting coal and other non-metallic minerals.
The municipality of Tibu is considered the new palm oil producer. Their exploitation has been increasing rapidly advancing on their frontier. According to estimates, Tibú has a great potential of hectares for planting palm. Where more than 10000 hectares are planted and 5500 new acres are being planted.
Share the story of the founder and what inspired the founder to start this project
Jeannette Perry de Saravia For over 40 years, has been noted for her work to help people in situations of disability in Colombia,
Jeannette has been concerned with improving the living conditions of people with disability and for the past ten years, particularly the victims of antipersonnel mines. Today her work has made it to the municipalities most affected by armed conflict in the country through the SEEDS OF HOPE program and community development programs that empower local leaders who are going through a situation of disability and turns them in self-managers of a social transformation.
Thanks to the results obtained in all this time, Jeannette was able to bind CIREC to the National Intersectoral Commission for action against antipersonnel landmines, led by the Vice-Presidency of the Republic through the Program for Comprehensive Action against Antipersonnel Mines (PAICMA) and the international campaign against landmines ICBL.
CIREC is today the institution most recognized for its work to provide comprehensive rehabilitation services which means not only in the field of health, but also serve them throughout the psychosocial field.