PROGRAM DESIGN CLARITY: We are hungry to know more about what exactly your model consists of. Please succinctly list a) what main activities are you doing with your beneficiaries, b) where you carry out the activities? c) how often? d) for how many hours? e) who delivers the services? and f) any other brief details
The program is an intensive course packed in the 16-days (128 learning hours) out-of-the-city camp. Frequency has been twice a year (but we will do more). Program is delivered by professional trainers, tutors and professionals from different spheres. To know more: http://bit.ly/1plxlU2
INSPIRATION: What do you consider the most important trends or evidence that inspire you to believe the world is ready to Re-imagine Learning? Please elaborate.
I'd see why the world NEEDS to re-imagine learning. Because today's education is obsolete for the modern world. Modern schools model was built more than 150 years ago and still carries the needs of that years. It just puts determined knowledge with no skill to THINK into student's brains. It was relevant when information didn't change much even in 50 years and people were supposed to conform. It didn't let to discover the world and oneself, because social roles were due to your birth status. The world has changed. Education has not.
And brave people who dare to claim this mismatch change it
LEARNING THROUGH PLAY: What does “learning through play” mean to you and why it is a must-have, instead of a nice to have?
1. Education should be practical. Playing allows you not just to consume knowledge, but to test it on practice.
2. Education should be adaptable. While playing, you try different behavioral models and skills, see the reaction and can adjust it for the better results. And it happens fast and easy.
3. Education should be fun. It is just a proven scientific fact, that a person learns much better when he likes it - so, why the heck we are ok with the image of the school as a place where children hate to go?!
SUSTAINABILITY: Please list a quick breakdown of your funding, indicating the percentage that comes from each source.
Currently: 100% from the clients (parents of the participants).
40% from clients;
30% from grants;
30% from sponsorships and partners;
MODEL: How does your mission relate to your business model (i.e. Non-profit, for-profit or hybrid)?
We believe in a social business model. It's simple: if no one is ready to pay for what you do - then your product isn't worth it. So, how well you sell it is an indicator of the quality and demand on your product.
Still, we want to make our services affordable for as many people as possible, that's why we're searching for grants and partnerships now.
FUNDING PRIORITIES: If your organization were given $20K in unrestricted funding today, how would you use it? Why?
We would use it for one of the 3 main priorities:
1) Scaling up LifeCamp on the national and global levels
2) Launching LifeSchool (model of schools centers that uses LifeCamp technology and ideology during the school year)
3) Showcasing LifeCamp models worldwide to teach others how to do it
PARTNERSHIPS: Tell us about your partnerships that enhance your approach.
Our current partners mostly support us with content and organizational stuff.
Academy of GamePractice and GameDesign Agency help us to improve our simulations.
Siberian Federal University and Agency of Strategic Initiatives of Russia help us to promote the camp and recruit best tutors.
We are partnering with 70% of schools in our city to promote the camp.
COLLABORATIONS: Have you considered or initiated partnerships with any of the other Challenge Pacesetters? If so, please share.
VISION: If you had unlimited funding, and you could fast forward 15 years to when your program has been able to achieve wild success - what will it have achieved?
It's simple. Our dream - the schools has disappeared and the whole education system has been changed.
We've been brainstorming about the ideal education system. It includes education through project-management and practical role-playing, students are able to choose what to study and generate real demand on knowledge, everyone has personal coach and educational trajectory.
IMPACT - KEY METRICS: Please list the key data points that you would cite as evidence that you are able to achieve lasting learning outcomes. Please also share one data point for which you most hope to see better results over time
1. Percentage of students making conscious choice of career (measured by surveys, analyzing if responders can link their choice with their values and goals - conducted periodically, when participants choose university, during university and 1 year after).
2. Assessment of competencies development during the project - conducted by tutors on reflection sessions.
APPROACHES: Given the complexity of play, it is not surprising that there have been numerous research attempts to categorize the different types and approaches! Please indicate which of the following your project focuses on.
Games with Rules, Creating a Supportive Socio-Emotional Environment, Providing a Range of Opportunities (providing the equipment and materials needed for various types of play), Educational Structuring (developing playful projects within educational contexts), Challenging Play (play that disrupts - where rules are disregarded and levels of imagination are high).
AFFILIATION: Please specify if your organization has any existing affiliations with the LEGO Group.