The Play Exchange Launches the Active at School Challenge
The Government of Canada and Canadian Tire are challenging students, teachers, principals, school boards and parent councils to get involved in promoting active and healthy living across Canada by joining The Play Exchange.
The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge is looking for the best idea in each province and territory that helps children achieve one hour of physical activity every day. The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge will provide $3,000 to the top innovation, entered by a school, in each province and territory.
To qualify for this special investment, all school-submissions need to include a minimum of one hour of daily physical activity. Submissions can be made at The Play Exchange website.
All school submissions will also qualify for the main Play Exchange competition, which is open to all Canadians, and not just schools. The winner of the Play Exchange could receive up to $1 million to put their idea into action.
The Play Exchange is funded, in part, by the Government of Canada and Canadian Tire, and supported by Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and LIFT Philanthropy Partners.
- Three in five adult Canadians are living with chronic illnesses such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and some types of cancer.
- A third of all Canadian children and youth are already overweight or obese.
- Children who are overweight or obese are at high risk for serious childhood diseases like pre-diabetes, asthma, joint problems, and liver disease. They have an 80 per cent chance of becoming obese adults, and may show heart disease as early as age 25.
- Only 4 percent of Canadian children are getting the recommended amount of daily physical activity.
- The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge will accept applications until June 18th, 2014
“I’m excited to be part of The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge and encourage schools across the country to join. Together, with the help our partners, The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge can transform great ideas into great initiatives and your school’s idea could help build a future where good health and a high quality of life are within reach for all Canadian children!”
- The Honourable Rona Ambrose
Minister of Health
“It can be hard for families to be as active as they’d like, particularly when it’s cool and wet outdoors. Canadian Tire believes schools play an important role in kids’ development and encouraging a healthy, active lifestyle. We proudly support The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge because it encourages students and families to bring forward new and exciting ideas to get Canadians moving.”
- Allan MacDonald, Chief Operating Officer,
“We need to support schools, teachers and students to incorporate one hour of physical activity every day, so Canadian children can experience all the health and social benefits that come from being more active. The Play Exchange’s Active at School Challenge will hopefully encourage schools to join this nationwide movement and share their innovative, effective solutions to engage students in daily physical activity.”
- Bruce Dewar, Chief Executive Officer
LIFT Philanthropy Partners