What solution(s) does your initiative address to help emerging entrepreneurs and small businesses grow and thrive in underserved communities? (select all applicable)
Access to technology, Access to economic opportunity.
What has been the impact of your solution to date?
We measure FlashCast's impact with three primary metrics:
- Campaigns sold to MSME's (micro, small, and medium sized enterprises)
- Jobs created (FlashCast sales agent - measurable, new hires from increased MSME revenue, difficult to measure)
- Viewers of educational campaigns
To date, FlashCast has completed a pilot in one vehicle along Nairobi's route 111. We've hired a sales rep, launched 20 campaigns to small businesses located along our pilot route, and estimate that approximately 50,000 viewers have seen public service announcements in the areas of health and governance.
What is your projected impact over the next 1-3 years?
In year two, FlashCast plans to expand operations to wider East Africa, beginning in Uganda and Tanzania.
We predict that by year three, FlashCast will have:
- Sold 550,000 campaigns to small businesses
- Employed 500 sales agents in the East African region
- Broadcast public service announcements to 15 million passengers
What barriers might hinder the success of your project? How do you plan to overcome them?
Our most significant risk is hardware security. Though our pilot has been extremely successful (2 months of 24/7 operation without any issue), security will remain a priority. Because contracts are difficult to enforce, the key to establishing security for our installed displays is around smart partnerships. Because we share revenue with our transit partners, everyone down to the driver and conductor are highly incentivized to ensure our hardware remains safe, and any technical issues are promptly reported.
Winning entries present a strong plan for how they will achieve and track growth. Identify your six-month milestone for growing your impact
Our 6-month targets are: * 70 installed displays * 13 sales agents * Full geographic coverage of greater Nairobi
Now think bigger! Identify your 12-month impact milestone
* 170 installed displays * 30 sales agents * Partnership with Kenya Bureau of Roads to fully utilize traffic data