Freedom From Corruption
Encourage, Enable and Empower Every Citizen of India to Eliminate Corruption at All Levels of Society
Motivation and objective behind the work:
The four Pillars of our democracy are: 1) Legislature 2) Executive 3) Judiciary 4) Press. 5th Pillar is “WE THE PEOPLE” i.e. all of us who want a corrupt free India. It is the democracy supported by these 4 pillars. It is only when all of these pillars function cohesively that democracy runs successfully. In the current scenario, corruption is so ubiquitous that it hampers the proper functioning of these pillars. We believe that the situation cannot be fixed by merely complaining and continuing the status quo, but rather all the citizens of our country must come together, take a stand against corruption, unite, and become the 5th Pillar of democracy so as to ensure proper governance. Mobilising people power and making it ‘Social Capital’ through 5th Pillar's coalition of citizens to fight corruption thereby strengthening the four pillars of democracy is the eventual goal.
Means and methodology adopted in achieving the objective:
1. Distributing “Zero Rupee Notes” amongst public to motivate them to say “I will neither accept nor give bribe”.
2. Conducting free RTI training programmes in training members and general public on effective usage of RTI Act to bring about a larger good to the society – ensuring completion of public projects, stopping scandals from happening.
3. Conducting awareness campaigns on “FREEDOM FROM CORRUPTION” in schools and colleges and reach out to the parents through the children.
4. Helping citizens to approach the Vigilance Department and CBI’s Anti-Corruption Bureau and file complaints against corrupt officials who demand bribe.
5. Forming SAC (Students Against Corruption) units in colleges to carry forward on going awareness programmes by student leaders on an continual basis in their institution and local community.
6. Extent of geographical area covered and target population benefited
7. 5th Pillar has its India Headquarters at Chennai and is operational in the Union Territory of New Delhi and Pondicherry and in the states of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Rajasthan to a small extent. More than 5 lakh people have attended 5th Pillar’s “FREEDOM from CORRUPTION” sensitization program including free training of RTI ACT and practical alternatives to tackle corruption in all departments of government.
Future action plan:
Since a democracy society is supported by 4 pillars – Legislature , Executive, Judiciary, Press and only when all these 4 pillars function effectively democracy will function effectively.
In the current scenario, corruption is so ubiquitous, that it hampers the proper functioning of these pillars. We believe that the situation cannot be fixed by merely complaining and continuing the status quo, but only if all the citizens of our country come together; take a stand against corruption; unite and become the 5th Pillar of democracy that ensures proper governance.
In other words, 5th Pillar is an organization that strongly believes that the people that make up a democracy are the strongest members of such a system. Without the people a democracy would not exist. As such, we believe that if each one of us changes our own habits, we will be attacking corruption at its roots, and corruption will cease to exist. 5th Pillar strives to multiply its last 4 years worth of work to more geographical parts and enhance the volume, consistency and quality of our service which are currently hampered by lack of consistent flow of funding support.