Eager to bring elementary and middle school students into the twenty-first century using a unique combination of education experience coupled with six years of cutting-edge electronics background in the robotics field.
• Achieved Master in the Arts of Teaching, Bachelor of Arts in Elementary Education, and Associates of Arts.
• Experienced in the development, implementation, and sustaining of educational initiatives focused on community need.
• Dedicated to enthusiastic and dynamic teaching as a means of creating and nurturing a lifelong love of knowledge in children.
Education, Honors, and Certifications
Marygrove College, Detroit, MI. 2003
B.A. in Elementary Education
Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, MI. 1999
Associates of Arts
Alpena Community College, Alpena, MI 1997
Electrical Mechanical Certification
United States Navy, 1993
Professional Education Certifications
MI State Elementary Education (K-8) 1999
MI State Science Education (K-8) 1999
MI State English Education (K-8) 1999
Alpena Public Schools: 1999 to Present
United States Navy: 1989 to 1995
Northeast Michigan’s Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative: as a member of the administrative team, and in this role, I have worked cooperatively with community partners and educators in developing exciting place-based education programs.
Thunder Bay River Watershed Project: created and implemented this research project that focuses on understanding the effects invasive species are having on local fresh water resources.
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary: developed and built, with fifth and sixth grade students, three underwater remote operated robots for the purpose of conducting research on the effects zebra mussels are having on shipwrecks in the sanctuary.
Sprinkler Lake Outdoor Educational Center: served as instructor and on-site education coordinator for both day and overnight camps.
Camp Green: This is an annual, weeklong camp I co-develop with a focus on green energy and technology. We take seventh through tenth graders on an expedition through the energy resources in our local area and immerse them in hands-on inquiry activities followed up with fieldtrips to see the real application of technology.
The Alpena-Montmorency-Alcona Educational Service District: developed and presented, as a sub-contractor, several professional development workshops on science topics from inquiry teaching strategies to physics.
In-District Workshops: designed and conducted various faculty and student workshops for training in word processing and spreadsheet software. Instructed education personnel in use of word processing, desktop publishing, and video processing programs for conversion from digital images and video images into educational videos.
Certified in Elementary (K-8) with Science and English Education
Planned and instructed each subject area using wide variety of teaching aids, motivational and implementation strategies to engage students in active learning.
Incorporate learning modality principles into classroom and individual instruction. Develop and conduct inter-grade activities.
Implemented technological approaches to subject material. Researched and implemented educational resources on the Internet.
Grant Awards for Educational Initiatives
• Eight time winner of the Besser Foundation Educational Grant: with accumulated awarded funding of nearly $20,000 toward classroom projects.
• Six time winner of the Alpena Power Educational Grant: with accumulated award funding on $3,600 toward projects focused on electricity education.
• Five time winner of the Community Foundation of Northeastern Michigan: Youth Advisory Council Grant: with accumulated awards of $2,500 towards founding unique educational experiences.
• DTE Energy Foundation Grant: $250
• Rural Energy Grant: $600
• Toyota Tapestry Grant. $2,500 and $10,000
• Northeastern Michigan Great Lakes Stewardship Initiative: $16,000
• Square One Educational Network Technology Initiative: $500
• Various small grant awards from local businesses including Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Alpena Alcona Area Credit Unions.
• 2010 USAF Teacher of the Year
• 2011 Chevrolet Green Educator Award
Michigan Alliance for Environmental and Outdoor Education
Michigan Council of Social Studies
AYSO youth soccer: coach
Thunder Bay Basketball Association: coach
Alpena Huron Shore Little League: coach
Alpena Jets Football Association: coach
MATE underwater remote operated vehicle: coach
Square One Education Network IVD Robotics: coach
Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary: volunteer