Tell us about the social impact of your innovation. Please include both numbers and stories as evidence of this impact
RECICLETA’s results went beyond its borders, as we received numerous requests to replicate it to more areas in the city, as well as in the country.
- in nearly 9 months from its debut, this program has attracted over 60 companies and individual donors and reached a total of over 11 tons of collected and recycled paper waste;
- the record for one mobile waste collection point (a trailer) transportation to the collector is for 1700 kilograms of paper (transport and emission minimization);
- over 65 free standardized bins of 25 kilograms for collecting paper were given to the beneficiary SMEs. The bins come equipped with an educational sticker that offers the employees important information about collecting their paper waste;
- over 150 mature trees were saved. For each tone of recycled paper 15 mature trees are saved;
- one cargo-bike can collect 10 tones of paper waste/month, if it used at maximum capacity;
- RECICLETA benefits from a considerable mass-media exposure (TV, newspapers, websites, blogs)
- it has 0 CO2 emissions;
- an average of 600 employees from the beneficiary companies are actively involved in the process of selective collection of waste. Furthermore, the general public from the project area and around can use the collection trailer to deposit their paper waste for recycling;
- at the moment 1 person - cargo-biker - benefits from a safe working place. With financial support, 4 more people (4 families in risk of being separated from their children) with poor social and economical conditions can be helped.
- the recyclable waste collector has received high quality materials which determined a profitable activity (office paper waste is of superior quality);
- we have trained over 10 people in difficulty to be employed in RECICLETA as bikers, but since Romania severely lacks a system of social and economical(re)insertion for vulnerable or marginalized social categories, that completes social assistance policies, RECICLETA could only hire and keep one. He is Alexandru, 35 years - married, has 5 children (a girl and 4 boys). He has worked for 11 years with legal working papers and many other without. Last time when he was hired with legal working papers was 7 years ago. The other candidates preferred the black labor market for its short-term financial advantage.
When Alexandru was asked why he chose to work in "RECICLETA" he stated that he needs a stable monthly income to support his large family and that he is glad that he can contribute to environmental improvement. For the future he would like a bigger working flow, more companies involved in the program so that he can have more colleagues in the same situation as his, who can benefit from a normal job in RECICLETA.