Example: Walk us through a specific example(s) of how this solution makes a difference; include its primary activities.
In Papagarang Island, we first installed Komodo WAI reverse osmosis water treatment. The technology purifies brackish water of TDS 9000 ppm into water safe for drinking of TDS 11-13 ppm. The result is also certified by health department.
The water treatment plant creates new job opportunity for local people (as water agents, water delivery services, etc), and a fraction of annual profit goes to the village community fund.
We also developed a system of marketing and distribution, i.e. transportation of water using fisherman boats, and water sales agents in each islands. This way we increase affordability and supply of clean water, with actively involving local people
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Also describe the projected future impact for the coming years.
Currently we have served 7 villages in Komodo Islands, covering Papagarang (345 household), Mesa (450), Warloka (325), Komodo (500), Rinca (300), Soknar (80), Lente Golohmori (700), and Kukusan (80).
By April 2014 Komodo WAI have distributed more than 13000 gallon of water to the 7 villages. With safe for drinking water, occurrence of gastro-intestinal infection (e.g. diarrhea) has declined.
In the future we plan to expand the water treatment by adding solar power technology, considering the high potential in the area.
Komodo WAI project has also boost the confidence of Papagarang villagers, as they felt that the island is worthy for investing (previously they felt left behind by local government). We expect this project to become a model of sustainable water supply project for remote areas, in which community-private sector-government work in partnership to achieve better living
Spread Strategies: Moving forward, what are the main strategies for scaling impact?
• Creating a more solid sales agency system, e.g. better training, promotional material. Prioritizing women agents as micro entrepreneurship.
• Establishing a coop system in the village, to combine water sales agency and food distribution channel.
• Expand to Labuan Bajo by aiming different market of medium economic class, thus creating higher margin.
• Product diversity, e.g. ice block for cold storage, thus creating higher margin
• Improve sanitation facility as part of water recycling system, which also serve as health campaign
• Support local children education e.g. community library