Tell us about the social impact of your innovation. Please include both numbers and stories as evidence of this impact
The proposed business brings income generation and livelihood in rural area. Currently the company pays about USD 15,000 per year for Groundnut supply. Money circulate allows women to operate their business such as restaurant, kiosk and shops. Also farmers acquire purchasing power to access better foods education and health services.
Arusha Women Entrepreneur Group (AWEG) CONTRIBUTES IN IMPROVING HEALTH AND MENTAL CAPABILITIES OF CUSTOMERS, COMPLEMENT FOOD SECURITY, AND PROMOTE PEANUT BUTTER CONSUMPTION The company produces different Peanut Butter products that increase value, shelf life, tastes and uses of peanut butter which expose it to a diverse range of customers. In addition, home delivery increase accessibility for further peanut butter consumption promotion.
Another women project beneficiary was able through the project to buy the piece of land worth about USD 800.00 form saving her the monthly salary. 5 younger women secured the employment from this project.
Problem: Describe the primary problem(s) that your innovation is addressing
The peanut butter -to -revenue project is addressing acute significant problems that are not only endemic to the Arusha city but plague many regions with Tanzania.
These are the problems of limited social and economic opportunities for locals, especial women; Perhaps the most daunting problems within the scope the Peanut butter to revenue project is the lack of economic opportunities and addressed social standing of women in the city. While poverty is nearly ubiquitous through Tanzania, Women are disproportionately it victims. Already subject to a lower social standing based on their gender, low income women find themselves even further from opportunity and cast into desperate, often income generation.
The younger women remaining in Arusha city with little or no money, not only does this practice take time and is very labor intensive The Peanut Butter to Revenue Project is presenting a unique opportunity for women of Arusha to manage the social enterprise and generate the income and accessing new technology in food processing and marketing, with the correlated affect of increasing their social standing and level of empowerment.
The above listed are not only ones the Peanut Butter to Revenue Project is mitigating , but they are most tangible and benefit of the project is come to be bear upon them most directly.
Actions: Describe the steps that you are taking to make your innovation a success. What might prevent that success?
• (A)The proposed business has received the seed capital form Firelight Foundation for the purpose to purchase the fixed asset such as peanut milling machine and packing materials.
• We received the loan from Tanzania Gatsby Trust for the purpose to sustain the business and increase employment for women.
• The bankable business plans is developed order to secure the working capital from Match Making Investors under Business in Development Program.
• However this project is under the project namely Business Diagnosis Project from this project will be financed seed money grant worth USD 4000 in May, 2010 from the project partner Tanzania Private Sector Foundation through Small Industry Development Organization)
• We are intending to purchase the bar code numbers for our product and to acquire standard mark license and tested our product from Tanzania Bureau of Standard (TBS) and Tanzania Food Drugs Authority.
• We are intend to export our product to huge market of East Africa Countries with collaborate with Kwanza Collection Company.
• We are planning to seek the partnership and technical assistance from KOICA – Korea Cooperation Agency through their program of management and food technology for Tanzania. To develop new product (Peanut butter with spices specific for Tourist in Tanzania.
• The proposed project is planning to be under the partnership with Client Incubator Facility program organized by Grass Roots Business Fund- USA.
• We are planning to apply the match grant from Tanzania Private Sector Foundation for the purpose of conduct marketing promotion for our product through participating in difference International trade Fairs and local exhibitions
• We are intending to purchase peanut milling machine with the capacity 300kg/per hrs with the funding / grants from embassy USA in Tanzania in the Fiscal Year 2010.
(B) The barriers that will make unsuccessful of the proposed business are:
• Lack of the fund for implementation of the
Results: Describe the expected results of these actions over the next three years. Please address each year separately, if possible
The proposed business will became the real social enterprise and transforming the lives of many women in Arusha, women caregivers they will acquire new technology on food processing; packing and labeling design, marketing hence the income generation will be increased, the production of peanut butter will be increased. Rural livelihood will be improved and the government revenue will be increased, the proposed business will contribute to significantly private sector development through strengthening local market, transferring the technology and contributing to use local resource. The women will secure the job and get out from the poverty. The proposed business will help to cut off the foreign currency used for importing peanut butter from abroad. The project will be replicate to others regional the technology will be disseminated to other women’s.
If your innovation seeks to impact public policy, how?
The proposed business is contributing to difference government policies such Women and Gender Development Policy and Small and Medium Enterprise Policy - 2003