Concise Summary: Help us pitch this solution! Provide an explanation within 3-4 short sentences.
We can conservate the Peruvian forest through the Sustainable Fashion and the empowerment of local comunities in the jungle.
WHAT IF - Inspiration: Write one sentence that describes a way that your project dares to ask, "WHAT IF?"
What if the Amazon forest was conservate and reforest?
Problem: What problem is this project trying to address?
* In Latin America the last 30 years it was deforested 2 million km2, more than space of Mexico. In Perú the deforestation rate is 150 000 hectares per year. We only have 532 forest rangers to protect the 62% of the forest territory. The amazonian comunities are weak in the economic sector for that reason the illegal logging , narcotrafic and inapropiated crops push deforestation.
* In Perú the people don´t know about sustainable fashion
Solution: What is the proposed solution? Please be specific!
Create the concept of sustainable fashion empowerment the Amazonian comunities to protect the forest, using the vegetable leather from the rubber tree to produce handbags, bags and accesories, focus the market in millenial women. Every amazonian family have 100-140 rubber trees inside an area of 50 -150 hectares. If we can develope the concept, we will create more economical options to communities to protect their forest concesions through the vegetable leather.
We are developing the App Evea, with the mision to conect the people of the city and the communties with the jungle. For each handbag you will reforest a tree in the community and conservate 2 rubber trees. We will have the gps location in the jungle and know the family.
Finalist of Kunan Fellowship 2014 (Fundación Telefonica - Lima Global shapers) / Price of Startup Perú 2015 - second generation(Production Minister)
Impact: How does it Work
Example: Walk us through a specific example(s) of how this solution makes a difference; include its primary activities.
* :The The amazonian comunities have an economic and sustainable chance to conservate the forest through the vegetable leather - Our company promote the use of vegetable leather , this material is procesed by the amazonian comunities.
*The awareness in the population of the capital cities about sustainable fashion and the opportunity to contribute to forest conservation - Awareness Forums and events to promote "how the sustanable fashion and the Amazonian comunties can contribute to forest conservation"
* Improve the resistence of vegetable leather - Research and development through the chemistry to improve the resistence of the material.
* The app Evea will show the option to know the trees that are conservated with gps location
Impact: What is the impact of the work to date? Also describe the projected future impact for the coming years.
*First: Improve in 165% of vegetable leather resistence through new chemical formula, achieve 6.5 points of durability (Scale 1-10). (Lab Analysis)/ The objetive in the future is to achive the 10 points.
*Second: The income to comunities in 2015 by 60% of profit for the vegetable leather sheets (50 sheets have produced in Madre de Dios region)/ The objetive in the future is produce sheets in 5 Amazonian regions (Loreto,Pasco,Ucayali,Amazonas,San Martin)
*Third: In 2015 have had 2 speechs in universities about the theme "Sustainable Fashion to conservate the Peruvian jungle) / The objetive by year is promote the concept in 10 universities.
* Fourth: In 2020 we will conservate 11 184 hectares , 3728 rubber trees and 22 846 reforested trees (only considering the peruvian market and the peruvian amazon) .
Spread Strategies: Moving forward, what are the main strategies for scaling impact?
1) Backward vertical integration. Perú, Colombia, Ecuador. This Amazonian countries have the potential to produce vegetable leather from jungle comunities. We can replicate the same Peruvian model to this andean countries.
2) Market Development: Perú, Colombia and Chile. We can replicate the awareness strategy in Colombia and Chile taking advantage of their economies.
3) Market Penetration: USA,Germany, England, Barcelona, France and Nordic Countries. The strategy follow the market share through the main distributors and stores of sustainable fashion. The main ethical fashion & vegan fairs
Financial Sustainability Plan: What is this solution’s plan to ensure financial sustainability?
* Currently Evea brand have 8 bags models . We include in our store and E-store the participation of 7 ally sustainable brands with 20% of margin per sales.
* The app connect the people from 2 worlds and support the sales.
*We have an alliance with Micro Factoring "Ecash" organization, to finance the exports through the invoices with the future customers.
*We´re part of the second generation of Startup Perú, we can achieve more investments.
Marketplace: Who else is addressing the problem outlined here? How does the proposed project differ from these approaches?
In our country we are the unique. We will create an important alliance with international cooperation to share the new powerful model : "If you purchase an Evea bag you will reforest one three in the Amazon, with your name and gps location" In this new competitive advantage we will need an important alliance with ngo´s, comunities, society aorganizations like GIZ and WWF.
For other part the app Evea will consider an important conection between the market and the communities. First they can choose the colors and design model and for other part they will know the enviroment and human benefits.
In 2011 i had a great experience when i traveled to Puerto Bermudez in the jungle. In that place i have had the opportunity to know the Ashaninkas tribe. Their live style and the respect for the land and forest, but for other part i saw the great problem with the deforestation, narcotrafic and poverty. The impotence of didn´t have the economic power and resources to change that situation create in my mind a seed, every year i have visited puerto bermudez but every moment it was an important place to search solutions, for other part Jorge Cajacuri , a great artist and designer was creating a project with ecological bags, he had a great vision about the future in the fashion world, we met.
1) Jorge Cajacuri: Graphic Designer. Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Perú. (The best peruvian artist school) He have worked in one of the best media and marketing agency in Perú (Toronja) for 4 years. He work in the different concepts and ideas of design to positioning Evea in the top mind. He create the arts and designs of all company. Jorge have created visual arts and graphic indentity of different companies, in his case he has the opportunity to know Iquitos - Loreto and engage with the jungle rethinking in how to create from the artist and design view the sustainability in the communities.
2) Celeste Moreno: Fashion Designer. She studied in IED (European Institute of Design) in Italy and live for 20 years there, for that reason the possibility to conect with the european concepts of fashion world are very high. She works allways with the idea to conect the traditions and sustainability with the fashion world. She develope the different bags designs and follow the operations to assure the excellent quality of products.
3) Cristian Gutierrez: Business Administrator. Master in Agribusiness (Universidad del Pacifico) Master International Business (Barcelona-Paris). The possibility to conect the knowledges and experiences in the forest and agricultural world with the international business have a powerful mix to assure the internationalization and the fastest growing from the beginning of the value chain until final customer. Cristian is a passionate person that consider the jungle like his own home, when he had view the reality in the amazon he opened his eyes and put in his mind the objetive to change the dificult situation in the amazon. He has worked in important companies in Perú in marketing and sales areas for more than 5 years. He is co-founder of EnseñaPerú (Education NGO with presence in 5 peruvian regions is part of Teachforall).
4) Ing. Oscar Chunga (Board Member): Chemistry engineer. Founder and Operation Manager of HULPER company (an important rubber company in Perú with more than 20 years in the market). In the rubber sector his opinion is very value, he created important conections with many latinoamerica companies. His knowledge assure our model in the efforts of create an excellent and durable material (strong vegetable leather). We need to create different chemical formulas in different regions of the jungle, because the rubber threes are different depending of the altitude, humid and enviroment. For that reason is crucial his advisor.
5) Dennis Vivas (Board Member): Industrial Engineer. He has an important knowledge in the process world and the finance area. He have had the experience in the Federal Reserve Bank of Perú. He is the founder and CEO of "Ecash" an important organization to promote the "micro factoring"
Value Chain: Where does your work fit into the apparel value chain? [check all that apply]
Raw Materials, Manufacturing, Consumption.
Your Role: What is your relationship to the apparel industry? [check all that apply]
Brand Representative, Researcher, Retail Representative - Specialty Store.
Target Population: What stakeholder groups do you engage or empower in your work? [check all that apply]
Consumers, Farmer or Farmer Associations, Policymakers, Women, Youth.
Lever for Change: Select up to 3 ways your work is helping to transform the industry.
Capacity Building, Certification, Policy.
Is your project targeted at solving any of the following key barriers?
Hidden from View: Conditions in Forests, Farms, and Factories are Only Visible to a Select Few, A Job is Not Enough: Low-Income Workers Cannot Secure Long-Term Well-Being, Consumers Aren't Motivated to Care: Neither Compelling Reasons Nor Easy Means to Change Consumption Habits, Sustainability is Not Yet in the DNA: Fast Fashion’s Current Model Disincentivizes Value-Driven Economies.
Does your project utilize any of the innovative design principles below?
Unite More than Voice: Tap into Community Capital and Collective Resources, Disrupt Business as Usual: Target Key Players Who Can Influence the Bottom Line.
Innovation Inspiration: When you first conceived of your project, did you think of it as applicable to the apparel industry?
If you answered "no" to the previous question, which industry was your project originally aimed at transforming?
● Replicating in the Apparel Industry: If your project didn't initially target the apparel industry, how are you specifically tailoring it to do so now?
We can replicate the model to other regions with rubber trees.We have started in 2 regions with vegetable leather(with cotton).
Are you nurturing or inspiring others to be changemakers? If so, how?
We have learned about educational entrepreneurship focus in awareness talks and forums in universities.
● Tell us about the partnerships that enhance your approach. How have you collaborated with others in the industry to increase your impact?
With the Amazonian comunities we have been vegetable leather quality workshops and awareness about forest conservation.